Myanmar - Port Situation
3 February 2021
Members will already be aware of the news that on 1 February 2021 the military have taken control of Myanmar. The local correspondent reports that:
- Yangon and other ports and customs facilities continue to operate;
- airports are temporarily closed;
- all banks and most of the multinational companies have closed until further notice;
- internet and phone connections are available intermittently; and
- the Authorities have extended the order to “stay at home” until 28 February 2021 to curb the spread of COVID-19.
At the moment, the situation is not thought to affect the safety of vessels calling at Yangon and other ports in Myanmar. Members who have vessels that are due to call at Myanmar and/or are considering fixing to load/discharge at Myanmar ports, should take note of the above, and obtain updated information from agents/correspondents as appropriate.